Sunday, January 13, 2013

How To: Chin Chin

Hi everyone!
A little story...
Two weeks ago, a member of my church celebrated his birthday; food and drinks were served. As always, chin chin wasn't an exclusion.
I was able to get a bottle of chin chin which lasted me for about 2 week. Just yesterday, after *pinching*/mincing it for so long, my bottle finally emptied itself.
I was determined to get more, but how?
********************************
Today, I made a trip to Walmart to get necessary ingredients and got to frying!


Know that this is not a tutorial per say, cos I won't include precise measurements for each items (because China doesn't measure when cooking, I just do rough estimates).

Pour a quantity of granulated sugar in a bowl (200g)
100g of powdered milk into the same bowl. I used NIDO
Add evaporated milk to the bowl content. If you use condensed milk, be sure to mix with little water
 

In a clean bowl, pour desired quantity of plain flour. I used about 100kg
Add nutmeg and a pinch of salt. Mix well.

Add butter/margarine. Mix well til it feels like crumbs
Add the sugar-milk mixture
Mix thoroughly by hand
You're going to add water little by little until the flour hardens.
I added too much water. If this happens, don't worry, just add more flour to it!
Knead dough in bowl then transfer to a flat surface (board or kitchen counter).
Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to desired thickness.
 Cut into desired shape.
I cut mine into the shape we all know it to be.
In a pot of hot vegetable/corn oil, deep fry.

When done, store chin chin in an airtight container or munch away :)
I made bigger pieces too...
I know I wasn't precise on my measurements (I never am).
Sincerely speaking, you don't need to be accurate with these! If you have a sweet tooth, add more milk/sugar/nutmeg, if you don't, go less on them. It's that simple.

(((Chin chin is a fried snack common in Nigeria and all or parts of West Africa)))

If you have questions, please ask away.

xxxo
post signature

2 comments:

  1. i remember these from back home. Sweet Lord i miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a great snack! I love the ones they make at weddings...yum!

    ReplyDelete