Thursday, December 22, 2011

Made in Africa?


Gone are the days(90's) when my parents used to force my sibs and I to wear these once-upon-a-time horrible traditional natives. To make matters worse, they would  make us use a 'gele' (head tie). Gosh I hated wearing those to functions...most of us did! I think the reason why most of us disliked it was because it wasn't "fashionable" enough. I don't know why, but we just thought it suited our parents more.





Well, in today's modern society, African traditional, (the most common which is known as ankara) can be seen worn by big female celebs like Beyonce, Fergie, Solange, LADY GAGA and even on the runway-- it has become so modernized and westernized. In every clothing store, you're bound to find a "tribal print" collection. It's so common that some people think it's an American fabric O_o






Here are some designers whose works I find rather interesting. I've put together pieces of my fav collections.

Boxing Kitten




Jewel by Lisa Folawiyo




Lanre Da Silva-Ajayi "LDA"




Some of my Facebook favss





I'm indeed amazed at the globalization of African textiles and the creativity of its designers, but let's not forget the very essence of African fashion which has suddenly become a vogue sensation ;D










Oh btw, I have this pretty material/fabric that my mom got me...all I need is a badass tailor! HELP

xxxo
China

No comments:

Post a Comment