Monday, August 19, 2013

Your Aspiration?

What do you want to be when you grow up? Was an infamous question asked religiously when I was in high school back in Nigeria.
My nonchalant response was always "I want to become a nurse"

Back then, being a nurse in Nigeria was nothing to write home about...really. My mates would always tease me about it because they'd aspire to be either a doctor, lawyer, engineer, or study mass communication ( mass comm. was the response of most 'shakara' girls lol).

Going back to when I was either 7 or 8 years of age, while in primary (elementary) school, home, or church, in fact any acting situation I was in, I was always fond of nursing the sick during a play. You must include a hospital/clinic in that script, or else I'm not acting. Yes, it was that serious!



With each passing day, I never thought my family would settle in America. Although my dad was a business man who traveled the world for his merchandise, living abroad never crossed my mind. And so, being a nurse in a foreign land wasn't my utmost intention. I was in it for the purpose, bestowed by Florence Nightingale; for the passion and not money.  FYI: Nurses were under-payed, so money wasn't even a factor back then.

Fast-forward to today, I'm in my final year as a nursing undergrad. I can't even begin to tell you what my journey through this program has been. God is ever faithful.

Whenever I tell people I'm a nursing student after being questioned, 80% either say "I guessed", "that's where the money is", "just like your mother" or "typical"--many African (women) are migrating to this profession.

So dear future questioner, I find that *money* reply rather insulting. Now you know my reason. And if you missed it, I'd just give you that fake smile :)


The screenshot above is one of the many chats I've had with friends (and Nigerian schoolmates) that I'm just now reconnecting with after 6 years. The girl in the photo above was my best friend's friend...I was surprised she remembered my aspiration :')


On that note, I hope you all have a fantastic time being back in school. Excel and prosper!



xxxo
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment