Friday, May 3, 2013

Random facts about me: 3

I wasn't born with a gap tooth. It was acquired.

Where do I even begin with this...

So as a little girl, I was somewhat "rough". At the tender age of 5, I was playing around with my sibs and/or neighbors (I believe) and soon after, I fell face-down. Lost all 4 of my front milk teeth in the process.
Now, fast-forward a few years earlier. According to my mom, my front teeth was acting weird...they were drifting apart, causing a gap in the middle. From there, the 2 on the right got together, and the 2 front on the left did likewise.

Is this making any type of sense?
I hope so because it's difficult explaining this with written words (without describing it physically).

So like I was saying, after the weird anatomy took place and I fell and then lost all four of my front teeth, instead of  them growing back out, two big ones grew in their place!

YIKES. My mother who didn't really look deep into it at the time, thought that the other two should be out by the time I'm 12 or when the rest of my milk teeth comes off.
That didn't happen! So I got stuck with my big ol' gap ever since :(



Diagnosis?
I did some research on my own, and with the help of my dentist, found out I have what is called Hypodontia also known as "congenitally missing teeth"

The only option I have at this point is surgery. I'm not exactly sure how that's going to work out since my gap is extremely wide to close...might have implant placements, something! I just have to be prepared physically and emotionally.

Sometimes I get so subconscious when talking, laughing, smiling in photos (like you see)...etc
It always creates room for awkwardness when people tell me "I love your smile" and I'm not sure whether to smile or change topic.
Last week, a twenty-something year old patient I met at the hospital told me he loves my smile even before I could introduce myself. I blushed of course :)


I'll  have to live with my perfect imperfection for the time being...


Thanks for stopping by,
xxxo
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment