Saturday, April 2, 2016

OLIC in Review

Disclaimer. This unbiased review is solely from the writer, and is in no way, shape, or form meant to attack all persons involved in OLIC.

OLIC (Olamide Live in Concert) USA is his first(?) ever concert in the U.S. and of course, a lot of people, including myself couldn't miss out on it.
I remember the first time he tried to have his concert tour back in 2014...they ended up canceling his concert and refunding my money.

So last month or so, when I heard from a DJ friend that Olamide would be coming to Chicago, I knew I had to be there, however, knowing how some of these "concerts" work (I've been to a few), I respected myself and got the $43 early bird ticket- Regular.

Here, I'll tell you some of the things (or thing) I like and dislike about OLIC Chicago.


On getting to the venue, it was packed as expected; long lines, cold weather...not a lady in heels' favorite thing to do. I think I waited in line for about 15 minutes (Like #1).
When I got in, it took a while for them to locate my name. The lady at the door kept saying to herself "China...China..China" while looking through piles of paper, and that took forever (Dislike #1). I think they could have done better with that; the lines wouldn't have been so chaotic.

Well I stepped in to the hall and it was packed. Like...packed. Never been in a room with that many Chicago party-goers. Ever. (Like #2) The promoters did a great job with that. I'll give it to them.

(Dislike #2) When I was in line, I overheard them requesting $100 at the door for "VIP", and for the love of Olamide, people paid! People went as far as paying $1500 for VVIP with their groups.
In the past, a few promoters have mentioned how expensive it is to bring Olamide to perform, so I can see them trying to make their money back.

But guess what? If you didn't know Olamide personally, you weren't allowed to meet him, talk-less of taking a photo with him. So the only "benefit" that people in "VIP" and "VVIP" got was to rest their feet by sitting on a couch/watch the concert from an equally crowded balcony.

Towards the end of the night, I somehow got to see Olamide. He was siting on a couch looking really drained. As in, really. It's not like he put so much energy into his performance (Dislike #3), which felt like 20 minutes. He didn't even shakitibobo [I'm salty].

Not trying to knock anyone's hustle, but have you ever been to, or seen a Davido concert? OK!
A friend of mine said Olamide's hype man looked & performed like he was the one we came to see. LOL.

Don't get me wrong, Olamide is still BAE. Any day! Well, after Phyno of course.
I'll always support "Baddo"...his music does it for me. He's very talented, and I love the fact that he still keeps it Street- the very thing that attracted me to the artist. 

If you've ever been to OLIC, how was it?
Share your thoughts/experiences.


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment